Friday, May 4, 2007

Our Seminary Journey

Our seminary journey is coming to a close! Today, Heath turns in his last paper required for his master's degree! In seven days, Heath will participate in the graduation ceremony at the seminary. In 10 days, we will be moving because the Lord has called my husband to pastor his first church!

When I look back on the past three years and see how God faithfully showed up for us time and time again, it is amazing! We moved to seminary and it took Heath several months to find a job. All the money we had saved to pay for seminary, quickly went to pay for our living expenses. There was a day we didn't know where our next rent check was going to come from. But, on this same day, someone anonymously paid our rent for us, and Heath got a great job! Another day, we discovered our little "seminary surprise." We found out we were going to have our third child! Then the great job Heath had started just two months ago, vanished, when the company started experiencing financial difficulties, and had to let Heath go. But, the Lord was good, and they gave Heath two weeks pay even though they were not required to!

By this time, I was almost 7 months pregnant, and Heath was without a paycheck again. The church we had been attending gave Heath a paid internship to assist the music minister. The custodian occasionally gave Heath a few hours work here and there, just to help us out. Our tax return didn't arrive a moment too soon (isn't that just like God). We truly learned the lesson of "daily bread" living during this time!!!

For months before we even moved to seminary, I had been praying for God to give Heath ONE job to meet our needs. I continued to pray and ask God specifically for this. I was tired of my precious husband working 2-3 jobs AND going to school. You see, when we were first married, my husband was finishing up his bachelor's degree, in the army national guard, worked for an insurance company, AND was a part-time youth minister! I needed my husband! The children needed their daddy. I knew the Lord was aware of this, and I believed He was able to provide my husband with ONE job that would meet all our needs while Heath completed his master's degree.

Well, in March of 2005, a church called and wanted to interview Heath for a full-time student minister position! The salary was the EXACT amount we had been praying for!!!! We had the interview and it went well. They invited us to attend one of their worship services so Heath could share his testimony and ministry experience. We returned home excited about how the Lord was working. The following Wednesday, our little girl decided to come 2 1/2 weeks early (March 30, 2005). Heath officially started his ministry here mid-April. The Lord answered my prayer and gave my husband ONE job that has met all our needs!

Now the Lord is moving us to a new ministry. Our seminary journey may be coming to a close, but our journey serving the Lord continues on!

Thank you Lord for your faithfulness. Thank you for loving and saving me. May I walk closely with you all my days, as I journey with you! Where you lead me, I will follow! I love you, Lord! I am ashamed at how I've allowed stress and anxiety of another move to creep into my mind. All I must do is be still and look back on our seminary journey and see how you - time and time again showed up and showed off. Lord, I'm amazed by you! May you be glorified in my life!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nikki! Isn't God's provision for us awesome?!! My husband and I have an incredibly long story about how He brought us here to our place in ministry. Its incredble!!! God bless!
Aimee

Totallyscrappy said...

Isn't it great when you can see God's work all along your seminary path? Dh started sem when our oldest was just over a year and I was pregnant with our second. Plus, we also had a "seminary surprise" during his third year. I just kept saying, "Thank God they are boys... I couldn't afford to dress a girl!"
God's blessings to you and your family as the adventure continues!