Monday, August 27, 2007

Mommy, I help you?!

My 2-year-old daughter, Lauren is a joy! She is very thoughtful and caring. She is always wanting to make sure everyone is alright. She is also always wanting to be my helper. Honestly, sometimes it annoys me. If she would just go play with her brother and sister, I could move faster and get the task accomplished much quicker (and efficiently). But, I would also miss out on blessings. The blessings of spending one-on-one time with her, seeing her giggle as she throws the silverware in the drawer, or tosses the wet clothes in the dryer. She truly believes she has accomplished something HUGE when she is being mommy's helper. This is evident when you hear her say, "I did it!!!!" Sure, if she was out from under my feet, I could work faster, but how can you resist when you hear her precious voice ask, "Mommy, I help you?"
I am so thankful when our older two children were barely 2 and 3-years-old someone talked to me about teaching young children to work. My children can make their beds, empty small trash cans, set and clear the table, sweep, dust, clean windows, put their clothes away, and a few other little jobs. Oh, but don't expect perfection. Their bedspreads may not be as smooth as you'd like; their socks, underwear, and sleeping clothes may not be neatly arranged; and you never know what you'll find when you open the silverware drawer....

Don't underestimate a child's ability to work. I think sometimes we mothers neglect to teach our children how to work because it takes more time to let the little ones do it. We could do things much faster ourselves. If you're a perfectionist, watching a child put the silverware away may cause you to have an anxiety attack!

Do my children always willingly work hard with wonderful attitudes? No way! But, they're learning the importance of hard work. Not just hard work, but working hard with a joyful attitude! We're a family who works together, worships together, learns together, and plays together. 

Relax and remember to not expect perection.



6 comments:

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

So sweet! And so true. Thanks for sharing, Nikki! A lesson I really needed today.

Moosler said...

That is so true, and unfortunately I didn't involve my kids with regular chores when they were younger -- just did it myself, and now I'm reaping the consequences of that.

Great job, mom!

Anonymous said...

I am 'sort of ' good about letting them help, but need to get better at it. However, last night I made homemade pizza and just gave dd a little ball of the dough. Talk about fun, for me and her!

I just found your blog!!! I will be reading it more:)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Living Beyond said...

Hi Nikki - thanks for visiting my blog - I really enjoyed reading your post about your little ones.

Kristi_runwatch said...

This is great!! Thanks so much for linking this to my post!

This is another reminder to me how posessive I am of things to make sure they are done "right." Thanks for the encouragement! :)