Saturday, April 5, 2014

Finishing the School Year Strong!



This weekend, my 3rd grade daughter overheard a conversation I was having with my husband about some concerns I am having with some of her school work. I was frustrated and feeling like a failure as a mother and a teacher. Later that evening she came to me and told me I had hurt her feelings because I do not think she's doing a good job with her school work. I apologized and asked her to forgive me for hurting her feelings, but I also talked to her openly about some of my concerns.

This little girl of mine is doing well in some areas, but I am convinced if she would slow down, focus, and pay attention she could be doing much better.

Instead of focusing on what my child cannot do, I'm choosing to focus on what she can do. I'm going to praise and encourage her, build her up, not tear her down. We're going to work together and keep practicing on the things that are challenging her. We are going to work on habits like focus and attentiveness to help her do her very best.

I want her to hear positive and encouraging words from my mouth. I want her to know I love her unconditionally and I believe she is capable of tackling her school work and making progress in all subject areas.

I believe if I do these things, with God's help, I will see my daughter improve. There's some hard work ahead of us as we wrap up this school year, and I am making plans for some summertime learning as well. I want my daughter to understand it is good to be challenged and then to get motivated to buckle down, focus, work hard, and finish strong.

Are you struggling at the end of this school year? What are some things you need to do to help your child(ren) finish strong?

No comments: