Friday, June 22, 2012

Lazy (Super Easy) Cobbler


I had never heard of anyone putting strawberries in a cobbler until we moved to AR while my husband attended seminary in Tennessee. A sweet neighbor of our's taught me how to make this cobbler and she said it was called "lazy cobbler." Well, our family lovingly calls it "Lou's Lazy Cobbler" because "Miss" Lou shared one with us and taught me how to make it. Every year since then (2005), my husband has requested one of these cobblers on Father's Day. It is a super simple cobbler and you can use any fruit combo you like. We prefer to use strawberries, blackberries and/or raspberries, like "Miss" Lou does. If you've never tried using strawberries in a cobbler before then you MUST!

Lou's Lazy Cobbler

1 stick butter
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup self-rising flour
3/4 cup milk
2 cups fruit (mixed with sugar in the refrigerator to draw out the juice for a couple hours or overnight).

Melt the butter in a 9x9 pan. Mix sugar, flour, and milk together until smooth, pour over melted butter, then pour fruit over the batter. DO NOT STIR!!!! It's not called a lazy cobbler for nothing! Bake in the oven at 375 degrees for about 40-45 minutes.


Some helpful tips I've learned:

I always put a big cookie sheet on the rack below the cobbler because I have had the cobbler bubble over before because I have a tendency to use a little more fruit than the recipe calls for.

This cobbler makes a square 9x9 pan, but can easily be doubled to make a 9x13, and I have done this before when cooking for more than just my family.

Make your own self-rising flour for this recipe by adding 1 tsp. of baking powder and 1/4 tsp. of salt to the 3/4 cup all-purpose flour.

I have used fresh, frozen, and a combo of the two for this cobbler in the past and everything works well.

What is your favorite fruit to use in a cobbler?



No comments: