Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Muffin Dance

My 6-year-old is wanting to do more and more in the kitchen with me. She knows her sister helps plan and prepare meals on a fairly regular basis, and she has decided she wants to do something regularly too. So, we have decided that she will be our muffin maker. We will probably do this once every 7-10 days. While cooking she came up with her very own dance to dance while mashing bananas and stirring ingredients. She calls it "The Muffin Dance." She is too cute. One thing I love about having my girls in the kitchen with me is how it slows down time. I get to spend TIME with them individually, and I see glimpses of their personalities that I'd miss otherwise.

Here she is mashing the bananas for our banana applesauce muffins.


She didn't realize how much muscle power it would take to stir all those ingredients together!

Once we got the muffins in the pan, she sprinkled them with a cinnamon sugar mixture.

Here is the finished product. These muffins are yummy and moist. We like them for breakfast and snacks.

The recipe we used came from a church cookbook that was given to me when Heath and I were first married. I have used this recipe many times. The recipe is actually for a loaf of bread, but we usually make muffins.

Applesauce Banana Bread

4 ripe bananas (I have used only 2-3 and it is still good).
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup applesauce (I prefer unsweetened)
2 eggs
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1 tsp. vanilla

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Place bananas in a large bowl and mash. Stir in sugar and let stand for 15 minutes. Add applesauce and eggs and beat well. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Pour into a 9x5 loaf pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 45 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before removing from pan.

When we made this - it made 12 muffins and I poured the remaining batter in a shallow bread pan. I baked it all together in the oven at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes. As you can tell from the picture, we add a cinnamon/sugar mixture to the top of our muffins for a little extra.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks like a delicious recipe!! My daughter and I run and are always looking for recipes that include bananas (because they're so good for muscle cramps!). I love how you get the kids in the kitchen with you, too. Unless I have a super complicated recipe that's going to stress me out, my daughter is in the kitchen cooking with me every time!!