Thursday, April 21, 2011

An Example of a Servant

This morning the children and I spent time reading about the Lord's Supper together. Below are some of the passages of Scripture we read. I can't get out of my mind the image of my Savior, the King of Kings, and Lord of Lords bending down low and doing the job of the lowliest household servant. Jesus set the example of humble service to others, and I must follow His example. However, in order to do this, my pride must go. Pride cannot exist in the life of a servant.


John 13 (Contemporary English Version)

John 13:4-5,12-17

Jesus Washes the Feet of His Disciples

4So during the meal Jesus got up, removed his outer garment, and wrapped a towel around his waist. 5He put some water into a large bowl. Then he began washing his disciples' feet and drying them with the towel he was wearing.

12After Jesus had washed his disciples' feet and had put his outer garment back on, he sat down again. Then he said: Do you understand what I have done? 13You call me your teacher and Lord, and you should, because that is who I am. 14And if your Lord and teacher has washed your feet, you should do the same for each other. 15I have set the example, and you should do for each other exactly what I have done for you. 16I tell you for certain that servants are not greater than their master, and messengers are not greater than the one who sent them. 17You know these things, and God will bless you, if you do them.

No comments: