Thursday, January 6, 2011

Making Books

We had fun this week making our own books, and I wanted to share the links to the resources we used. The children made stick and elastic books to review everything they have learned this school year about insects, spiders, mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, and fish. We used this video to help us learn how to make the books. Actually, I would encourage you to visit a site I found called "Making Books with Children." There are a lot of wonderful ideas, and the creator of this site encourages her readers to use things like scrap paper, old cereal boxes, and paper grocery bags to create these lovely books!

Here are a few pictures of the stick and elastic books the children made.

This is the book 5-year-old, L made. I thought it was cool how she wanted the binding of the book to be at the top. However, she obviously didn't follow directions since her book is going to only be about butterflies, and butterflies that have spots!

This is a page of my 9-year-old T's book. I would say reptiles are his favorite!

This is 8-year-old, K's book cover.


My 8-year-old daughter, K also enjoyed making an accordion book for fun during her free time, and this is how hers turned out. She used an old cereal box for the front and back, and old tissue paper leftover from Christmas to decorate the front and back.


Here are some ideas I have for future books:
Latin Vocab Book
Book about Seasons
Leaf Rubbings
Sight Word Book

Do you have anymore homemade book ideas?


3 comments:

Renae said...

Wonderful work! We did our first lapbook incorporating various types of little books over the Christmas holiday. It was a lot of fun.

My son is even creating a book for his astronomy lessons, and he takes more care to make it nice than his regular notebook pages.

Nikki said...

I was talking to a friend and she said she used a lot of these types of books for lapbooking too!

Shasta said...

They did a wonderful job! I will bookmark the links! Thanks so much.

Shasta (creator of Christian Mommy Bloggers)