Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fall Comfort Food

One of my favorite fall comfort foods is homemade chicken and rice soup. I will be making a double batch of this for a party we're having here in our home tonight. A couple weeks ago I made some using leftover chicken.


4 cups of leftover chicken
10 cups of water seasoned with 4 Tbsp. of chicken flavored "Better than Bouillon."
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onion
1 Box of Chicken Flavored Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice

1. Cook the onions and celery in the chicken broth until tender.
2. Sauté the onions in a little butter and then add to broth.
3. Add the chopped up chicken.
4. Add the rice and seasoning 1 hour before serving.

This is so good!

I do want to find a way to reduce the sodium of this recipe by using my own homemade broth and not using a boxed rice mix. Do you have any recommendations? I know so much of the flavor from this soup comes from that little pre-packaged packet of seasonings in the rice mix, but we are trying so hard to get away from all boxed and canned foods.

What is one of your favorite fall comfort foods?

No comments: