Wednesday, September 15, 2010

New Friends


Last weekend, our family helped out with a local missions project. K, my 7-year-old daughter passed out hats and mittens to children as they waited in line to get a hot meal. When my daughter returned home with my husband she told me, "I made some new friends tonight, Mommy. I can't remember all their names, but I made new friends." I asked her if she had the opportunity to meet some children from our church and make new friends. She looked at me like I was silly and said, "No mommy, the children I gave the hats and mittens to - they are my new friends!" Conviction pierced my heart. Of course! Why didn't I know that! This precious daughter is constantly teaching me lesson after lesson about compassion, love, grace, and service to the Lord. The ones she serves are her friends - friends she loves - friends who are her equal - not beneath her. Thank you, Lord for teaching me to serve through this precious example you gave me - my daughter.

3 comments:

Marla Grace said...

Wow,great story.What a great experience.What a special little girl.Blessings,Marla Grace

i cant decide said...

Awesome!

I'm visiting from the crew blogwalk, nice to meet you.

Just an Average American Mom said...

I love it when our own children do that!!

Stopping by from the blog walk.

Looking forward to reading more from you as I am now following.