Saturday, June 12, 2010

Hummingbird

We FINALLY saw our first hummingbird yesterday! I was beginning to think we weren't going to see any this year, and that made me very sad. I even hung a bright red geranium next to the feeder to help attract the beautiful little birds. I love hummingbirds because they remind me of my great grandmother - Granny B. When I was a little girl I would swing on her porch swing and watch the tiny creatures buzz around and suck their nourishment from the feeder she set out for them every summer. Granny B. taught me that you don't have to buy hummingbird nectar at the store, you can make your own. She also taught me how to cook and sew! She was also the only person I have known who can make rhubarb and goose berries taste good. I have never had a strawberry rhubarb or gooseberry pie that I liked except for my Granny B's. Granny B. passed away when I was only 9-years-old. I learned a lot from her in just a few years. She taught me many things about homemaking just by letting me work beside her and spend time with her while my Daddy milked the cows in the barn just behind her house. I miss Granny B., but I'm thankful for the memories we made together, the lessons she taught me, the doll we made together, and the quilt she made for me (both items I still have). The things Granny B. taught me encourages me to be intentional and creative in teaching my young daughters. Have you heard of or visited the Raising Homemakers site yet? If not, I encourage you to visit and visit often to get encouragement and ideas on how you can be intentional in raising your little girls to be joyful keepers of their current and future homes.

1 comment:

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

How wonderful to spot such a lovely bird! We don't get them here in sunny scotland but we have seen some lovely little birds here! Have a lovely weekend.
Collette xxx