Thursday, September 3, 2009

Nature and Art

One day this week, my 6-year-old daughter came running inside and was very excited! She had seen a beautiful butterfly in our yard, and wanted me to help her gather a quilt and art supplies so she could go out and draw the butterfly! This just about brought tears to my eyes! I love it when my children have creative ideas on their own! Sure we've done activities like this together as a family. But it was a blessing to me to see my daughter so interested and passionate in watching nature closely, and desiring to capture its beauty through drawing. As you can see, once she began drawing, a couple more things caught her eye that she wanted to draw!


Children should be encouraged to watch, patiently and quietly, until they learn something of the habits and history of bee, ant, wasp, spider, hairy caterpillar, dragon-fly, and whatever of larger growth comes in their way. ~ Charlotte Mason

8 comments:

Unknown said...

An artist in the making...I love crativity in children.

Unknown said...

I love how you encouraged her own passion to draw! Wonderful!

This post would be great for the Charlotte Mason blog carnival! You can submit it here.

Janet said...

Hey, she did a great job capturing those things! So interesting to see a young artist's eye developing.

sarah in the woods said...

One of my favorite things is seeing my kids do things like this on their own. What a gift to us mothers!

Nikki said...

@sarah in the woods, yes...it is a precious gift!

Jamie {See Jamie blog} said...

How wonderful! :-)

Unknown said...

I love it! This is so fun to see.

Robin said...

This is so sweet. I remember first reading about Charlotte Mason years ago and getting so excited about all the possiblities. This is definitely one of them...your children wanting to observe and capture those moments in time. As my girls have gotten older, they love to capture those moments, usually with a camera these days though. Your daughter has realized something special...to catch the moment when she can.