Thursday, May 28, 2009

How NOT to share Jesus

I recently went to Southern CA to visit my sister-in-law. While we were there, she took me to Hollywood Blvd. This man was standing on the sidewalk dressed like this, holding these signs, and saying, "You must love God and one another. If you don't you are being a bad person!" I was standing in a crowd and tried to snap a picture without him noticing, but as you can see, he totally "cheesed" for the camera!  

I'm sure this man loves the Lord and has good intentions. But, I believe this is an example of how NOT to share Jesus. Yes, it's true we must believe in Jesus and put our faith in Him for our Salvation. We must also love God and love others because Jesus said those are the two most important commandments (Mt. 22:35-39).

I believe if we are loving God and have a personal relationship with Him, He will give us opportunities to share His love, and His saving message with others. I don't believe telling people they are "being a bad person" on a busy sidewalk is the way to illustrate Jesus' love for them. 

Is sin bad? Yes! Are we all sinners and in need of a Savior? Yes! (Rm. 3:23)

I pray I will always take every opportunity the Lord gives me to share Him with others. I pray I will willingly and lovingly share my story with others. My story about how Jesus came into my life, saved me, changed me, and made me whole! 

 John 3:16-17
"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.


3 comments:

Kristi_runwatch said...

That is an interesting evangelism approach! Oh, the damage of good intentions gone bad... I like to call that "drive by evangelism" - hit them over the head and run! :)

Teri Lynne Underwood said...

Nikki, you are such a blessing to me. Your optimism and energy bring me great joy ... and it is clear you have much joy in your journey! So, I have given you a little bloggy award ... check my blog for the details! Love you, girl!!!

Totallyscrappy said...

Too much! I remember seeing a billboard (I mean a large one, too) off the side of a major freeway in Alabama. It said, "Go to church or go to Hell!" While I admire the enthusiasm...
Thanks for the award!