Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Recipe Request

Last week I shared my menu, and someone asked about a recipe for Reuben Casserole. My mother-in-law gave me this recipe. I will share the exact recipe she gave me, and then share the little tweaks I've made to it.

Reuben Casserole
1 cup sour cream
1/2 onion, chopped
16 oz. sauerkraut, drained
1 can corned beef
8 oz. mozzarella, shredded
1/2 loaf rye bread, cubed
1 stick butter, melted
Mix together sauerkraut, onion, and sour cream. Layer ingredients in a 9x13 baking dish. On the bottom, place the sauerkraut mixture, then crumbled corned beef, and then a layer of mozzarella cheese. The rye bread cubes go on top. Finally, drizzle melted butter over the top of the bread cubes. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

My Personal Changes
I use 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
I omit the onion.
I prefer to use Bavarian sauerkraut.
I prefer to use shaved turkey pastrami from the deli instead of the canned corned beef. 
I use whatever bread I have. Sometimes I will purchase rye bread, but usually use homemade bread or whole wheat sandwich bread. 
I never use an entire stick of butter.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Jessica said...

of course it has a stick of butter, it is my mothers recipe, right?! lol