Thursday, October 30, 2008

Learning Letters



I just can't say enough good things about Handwriting Without Tears. I was desperate when our son was learning to write his letters. He had very weak fine motor skills, and is a left-handed boy. Through some research, and time spent talking with other homeschooling moms, I learned about Handwriting Without Tears. This program has not just benefited my son. My two daughters have used this program also.

The above picture is of my youngest child (age 3) taking the wooden pieces and forming the letter D.

I'm thankful this handwriting curriculum worked for us. We needed something fun, interactive, hands-on, and multisensory. We also needed just basic manuscript letters, no frills, because that just frustrated my son. I also wanted a program that taught manuscript first, and not cursive.

I don't work for HWOT. I don't even know anyone who does. I just wanted to share how well this has worked for our family. It brought back a lot of memories when I got out the wooden pieces for our youngest child.

2 comments:

Totallyscrappy said...

Handwriting without Tears is an awesome program! When we lived in SC I used it at the school I taught at and I was very impressed.
Have you seen their flip crayons? At first I was very skeptical because I really hate using a small writing instrument (and I really wouldn't use a broken crayon), but they were great. The quality of the crayon itself (waxy) wasn't as good as Crayola, but the concept and the practice they provided was wonderful.

Stephanie said...

Hi Nikki,
I have seen this at a homeschool curriculum store near my house. I often wondered if it worked. I am glad to see a couple of positive reviews. I think I might pick it up. Thanks!