Saturday, September 27, 2008

Baking Night

Each Tuesday evening, the boys are going to Cub Scouts. The girls and I are going to stay home and bake. This past week, we made cinnamon rolls and wheat bread. Next week, we plan on making pumpkin bread. We still have one more loaf of wheat bread in the freezer, so I'm hoping to only bake wheat bread every other week. We'll see how it goes. I was really happy with how the wheat bread turned out. I learned how to measure flour properly for bread here. I used this recipe and was very happy with it. I also used King Arthur Organic Whole Wheat flour, and was very impressed with it! My goal is to use less and less white flour each time I make this bread.
Making bread is not hard. You just need to make sure you have the time carved out to do it. You mix it up, let the yeast proof, mix up some more, let it rise, punch it down and form into loaves or rolls, let it rise again, and finally you get to bake. It's not hard, it just takes TIME! One thing you do have to remember is homemade bread will mold more quickly. So, we always store ours in the fridge and freezer. I did use the bread machine to make the dough for the cinnamon rolls. But, the wheat bread had to be kneaded by hand.

The mess is worth it.

2 comments:

PJH said...

Hey, glad your bread came out well. Thanks so much for letting other readers know about how to measure flour. And speaking of, thanks for using our flour, we appreciate it. Bake on- PJ Hamel, baker/blogger, King Arthur Flour

Totallyscrappy said...

There is nothing as wonderfully sinful as fresh cinnamon rolls. :)