Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Cooking!

I don't have time to post pictures right now. It's Christmas Eve for goodness sake! We're about to head out the door for our Christmas Eve service. Oh, I do have to cook dinner really quick too!

Anyway...I just wanted to share some of the fun and easy things the children and I did together this year in the kitchen! All three always like to help mom in the kitchen!

We made sugar cookies. We cut some out with Christmas cookie cutters, placed smashed up pieces of candy cane on top of others, and we iced some with a delicious cream cheese frosting (and of course we added some festive Christmas sprinkles to the top).

Today I needed to make something to take to Grandma's house. I had a devil's food cake mix and some leftover candy canes. So, I made cake mix cookies! Did you know you could make cookies out of a cake mix? I discovered this about one year ago!!! So very cool and easy!

Recipe:
one cake mix, 1/2 cup oil, and 2 eggs, 2 cups add-ins.

Yep, that's it! How simple is that? So far we've had chocolate chocolate chip, snickerdoodle (yellow cake mix rolled in cinnamon and sugar mixture), banana cake mix cookies, and today, I took the devil's food cake mix and made the cookie dough...dropped them out in a good rounded teaspoon, and topped them with crushed peppermint candy canes. I figured since I like peppermint mochas and peppermint hot chocolate, these cookies wouldn't be too bad. They look pretty too!

We also made homemade blueberry muffins with a crumb topping. My dh's favorite muffin is blueberry, so he requested these for our Christmas breakfast! The girls had a ton of fun helping me put the yummy cinnamon crumb topping on top!

Well, Merry Christmas! Hope you all have enjoyed some fun baking! We really cut back this year on all the dipping and truffles because we are really trying to cut back on our sugar intake...but it's just not Christmas without a little baking:-) I just heard my 2yo daughter say, "Oh no, Mommy, that's too much sugar!" LOL!!!! They've heard that a lot this week..."no more sugar!". They've gotten candy in the stockings, goodies shipped to them from their adoptive grandma from a former church, and now all the things we've baked this week.

Blessings,
Nikki

1 comment:

Totallyscrappy said...

Gotta love some cake mix cookies, Easy and yummy. I love all your different mix-ins.