Saturday, January 27, 2007

I'm High On...

RUNNING! It's true. There's scientific proof that many runners experience what's referred to as a "runner's high" because of the release of endorphins in your body. Some runners claim to have a euphoric experience. Well, I don't know if I've ever experienced anything quite like that, but I do know I have more energy! I feel stronger! After I get done w/ my workout I feel re-energized! I do mine in the afternoon. This is the part of the day I always struggle with being tired. So, instead of napping when my children do, I run!

Anyone who knows me may possibly be laughing at the thought of me running. But, I am really enjoying it! I get on my treadmill 4-6 times/week, and I warm my muscles up and just take off (well, not literally) I always manage to stay on the treadmill!

Since our move 20 mos ago, I really struggled w/ loneliness and isolation, and I began to put on some weight. My weight has always been a struggle for me, so to be adding to my already existent problem, was only causing more fatigue, disappointment, and honestly, a bit of depression.

Are you blue? Are you needing to get healthy? Are you needing to shed a few pounds? Get on some running shoes and just take off! Well, maybe you should try walking first, and see if you would like to speed things up a bit!

I started walking faithfully. When I built up to walking for 20-30 minutes, I began adding 1-2 minutes of running here and there. Now I can run for 15 minutes w/o having to stop and take a breather. This has taken me about 3 mos. to build up to this. What I am enjoying about running is how many more calories I can burn in a shorter amount of time compared to walking. I think it's helping me be a better manager of my time...LOL!

*please talk to your doc first before starting any new exercise program:-)

No comments: