Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Friends and Mentors


I was beyond excited and blessed when my friend asked me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding recently. This girl loves the Lord and truly desires to serve Him and make Him known. She serves in our church in a myriad of ways from VBS decorating (she is super creative), youth worker, worship team (she has some mad bongo skills), as well as served on various mission trips.

When my friend introduced me to all the other bridesmaids she said I was a friend and spiritual mentor. This mentoring relationship unfolded quite naturally. We were both wanting someone to journey through the season of Lent together a few years ago, so we met weekly and read through all the Holy Week gospel accounts together. Once we were done with that we started meeting bi-weekly and went through a book about the fruit of the spirit together, and now she has joined my monthly Bible study group. This has not been a one-sided mentoring relationship, because she has also mentored and challenged me greatly. An added bonus, is she is also my tea drinking buddy as well. We both love our chai tea and we usually enjoyed a cup (or two) when we would meet.

My friend is beautiful and she truly honored God in her singleness by striving for purity and serving the Lord while she waited for a strong Christian man to come into her life. I truly believe this guy who stole her heart will do his best to guard and protect her heart and they will be a strong and powerful couple for the Lord's glory.

Mentoring is often a sacrifice of time, but it is something we should all be doing in some shape or form. Look for women around you and encourage them to grow in their walk with the Lord and you might just be asked to be a bridesmaid if you mentor a single lady.




3 comments:

JessiAnn said...

Ask me how jealous I am that you managed to have enough brain capacity that day to take a candid picture with the bride?!? :) Somehow, although my camera was with me all day, I managed not to get it out at all until the reception!

Anyway, just wanted to say how much I appreciated how you stepped in to help with my kids this weekend, and how much I enjoy your blog posts.

You are a mentor because you are an amazing an example of a faithful Godly woman, and because you're a faithful Godly woman, you're an amazing mentor :)

P.S. If it's all the same to you, you have gained another friend and mentoree :)

Nikki said...

JessiAnn, it has been such a joy getting to know you and your family. I love your girls and their JOY for life is so contagious. It was a lot of fun for me to have some younger kids to play with. You are a good mommy and it was so neat to watch you with your girls. However, I think all your MOH duties and keeping track of your two adorable flower girls might have been the cause of your photography woes. :)
Thank you for your kind and encouraging words!

mrsd said...

What an inspiring post. I hope your friend continues to be an inspiration as a Godly woman, and may your mentoring relationship be blessed! I have nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. Check it out here: http://mrsdshomestead.blogspot.com/2013/04/liebster-blog-award-wow.html