Thursday, September 9, 2010

Canning

This year I've canned strawberry jam, tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, and pizza sauce. I am going to work on some pears this week, and I hope to can applesauce and pumpkin later this fall. I have never canned before, but I have learned because three different women in my church took the time to teach me. I am so thankful for these women who gave freely of their time and their knowledge to teach me! I want to learn to provide healthy food for my family, and to pass on my knowledge to my children. I love going down to my basement and pulling a can off the shelf because I know what kind of produce I used and what is inside each can. Heath and I find ourselves reading food labels more and more and when you can't pronounce the ingredients -that's not a good thing.

In the next few weeks we hope to till up a garden plot in our yard to prepare it for planting next Spring! We really missed not having a garden this year, and look forward to growing our own tomatoes, squash, peppers, and okra next year.

No comments: