Monday, October 12, 2009

Fall Fruits Festival ~ Pears

Lisa, over at Stop and Smell the Chocolates, is hosting a Fall Fruits Festival this week. Today, she is sharing pear recipes and asking her readers to link up recipes too. A few weeks ago, we had pears coming out our ears! I made crock pot pearsauce using this recipe that can be found at a blog called, A Year of Slow Cooking. I obviously substituted pears for apples.

Here's the recipe I adapted from the previous mentioned site:

This makes enough for 4 people.

--4-5 pears

--juice from 1 lemon

--1/2 tsp cinnamon

--1 tsp vanilla

--1 T brown sugar

--1/4 cup H20


The Directions.


Skin, core, and cut pears into quarters, and put them in your crock pot. Add the juice from the lemon, and the water. Pour in the vanilla, and add the cinnamon and brown sugar.

Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. When the pears are tender, mash with a potato masher. The pears are usually tender after about 6 hours on low. Once the pears are mashed, I then lift the lid of the crock pot off to allow any extra liquid to cook down. I usually started this process in the morning, and by mid-afternoon it was done. I am not a canner, so I stuck ours in the freezer.

*I usually quadrupled this recipe to fill my crock pot.
*I used a vegetable peeler to peel the pears, cut them in half, and then used a melon baller to scoop out the core and seeds and it worked wonderfully!

Head over to Stop and Smell the Chocolates and check out her awesome giveaway today, other pear recipes, and share a pear recipe of your own!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I just used that recipe for applesauce this past week!! Sooo yummy! Sounds wonderful with pears - I'll be trying that! Thanks for linking it up!

Melissa said...

Sounds great! It must smell delicious while it's cooking, too.

Robin said...

After peeling and slicing 24 lbs of pears yesterday, I am wishing that I had read this post first...yes..a vegetable peeler and a melon baller would have made it much easier. I will put this on my recipe page so I won't forget next year. I normally don't can, but this year I realized from a friend that I really could can on my ceramic top stove, so that is what I have been up to - canning pears slices and applesauce. The pear sauce sound like that would be good too.

Oh, and congratulations again for winning Sarah Mae's giveaway with the paper dolls! We hope that you like them.