Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The Lord's Supper and Children

This past Sunday, our entire family took the Lord’s Supper together. This was the first time my youngest daughter participated in this sacred time of worship. Years ago I read a book called “Parenting in the Pew” and it has helped me learn how to get my children engaged in the worship services. For instance, during the Lord’s Supper, I simply whisper quietly in their ears what is going on and why we do it and also ask them questions to make sure they understand. When they take their piece of bread, I ask them if they know what the bread symbolizes, and then ask them to pray and thank Jesus for sacrificing His body for us on the cross. As I was holding the bread in my hand and thanking God for his sacrifice on the cross, I was overcome with emotion, not only because of who He is and all He’s done but because of the way He’s worked in the hearts of all three of my children. It hit me that this was the first time my entire family has taken the Lord’s Supper together. Since my children were in my womb, I have lifted up this request: “Lord, I pray my children will come to know you at an early age and walk closely with you all the days of their lives.” As I sat in our row at church – I gave thanks to God for the work He has done and is continuing to do in the hearts of my children. I am in awe of His goodness and mercy! Within a few seconds of this revelation of thanksgiving in my life, my little girl gently tapped my arm and whispered, “Mommy, I broke my bread.” She sat there with two little pieces of bread in her small hand. I was zapped right back to reality in a hurry. I giggled and assured her it was okay, and bless her little heart, she was so relieved. Two of our children were six when they wanted to pray and ask Jesus to save them, and one child was five. Many people have asked my husband and I how we can be certain our children truly understand what it means to follow Christ. I usually try to explain to them that I trust the Lord is doing the work, and remind them that I would never hinder a child from coming to the Lord, and encourage them to remember Jesus’ words in Matthew 19:14: “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” My husband and I have the privilege of training and teaching our children, and helping them continue to grow in the grace and knowledge of their Lord and Savior (2 Pt. 3:18). Oh, how I pray they rise up to be mighty warriors for Him!

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love it! Yes, may our children be not just passive bench warmers playing religion...but mighty warriors of the Most High God!! :)

Nikki said...

Thank you, Jen! You are such a sweet encourager!